Bachelor in Hospitality and Tourism Management
Hospitality and tourism industry is one of the growing industries in Nepal and all over the world. BHTM prepares students for this dynamic hospitality and tourism world with a focus in leadership and management. The program prepares graduates for management career in the hospitality and tourism industry enabling them to take middle managerial and entrepreneurial roles. The students get to know and experience through the integration of theory and practical executions in an area of hospitality business and management. Hospitality management studies cover management of hospitality in hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, amusement parks, destination marketing organizations, convention centers, country clubs, and similar. Hospitality and tourism management curricula follow similar core subject applications to that of a business degree, but with a focus on hospitality management. Several large corporations involved with the hospitality industry, and management companies offer internship programs, and direct placements into operational and non-operational departments of hospitality and tourism sector for students majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management. Today every company is also marketing services and every customer in business is treated as a guest. Hospitality management that incorporates service marketing and management have become one of the top priorities of every company. BHTM has great career in offer.
BHTM is an eight semester professionally-oriented academic program spread through four continuous years. It is a comprehensive study program that combines the two main streams of hospitality and tourism disciplines. The focus of the program is to prepare graduates for management career in the hospitality and tourism industry enabling them to take middle managerial and entrepreneurial roles. It has a total of 132 credit hours with 42 courses. The general foundation courses carry 33 credits, management foundation courses 30 credits, core courses 60 credits, elective courses 3 credits and internship during the eighth semester earns 6 credits with a minimum of six months.
BHTM is a practice-oriented and industry-relevant study program of high disciplinary rigor that equips students with substantial grounding in professional knowledge and competencies in management and hospitality disciplines. The main purpose of the program is to develop competent, committed, and competitive managers and entrepreneurs who will start and succeed in hospitality and tourism management career and manage this service business in a professional way while contributing to the development of the hospitality and tourism industry in Nepal and beyond.
The program aims to:
- Prepare a critical mass of graduates for building successful career and taking up managerial and entrepreneurial roles effectively in the industry both in Nepal and beyond.
- Develop a high level of managerial knowledge and professional competencies of the graduates to manage the hospitality and tourism related functions and enterprises professionally and successfully.
- Enhance analytical and intellectual abilities, behavioral competencies, boarder perspectives of social and professional issues, and socially responsive orientation and personality of the graduates for successful performance of managerial and entrepreneurial roles and for pursuing advanced management knowledge.
- Develop capacity and promote professionalism in the practices of managing hospitality and tourism business in line with the international norms and standards.
- Create a highly rewarding learning environment and experimental exposure for the graduates to develop managerial and professional competencies that are competitive in the global context.
Key Features of the BHTM Program
- It is a four-year, 132 credit hours bachelor degree program in management in line with the international standards of bachelor degree programs in business and management.
- It emphasizes the importance of concentration/specialization on functional areas (about 10 percent of total coursework) to enable BHTM graduates face effectively and efficiently the complexities of a particular functional area.
- It offers a wide range of concentration and elective courses to match students’ individual interests with the demand of employment market. With proper academic and course planning, students can take advantages of specialization on two functional areas of management within the same time period.
- It provides students with an opportunity for learning, gaining exposure and networking through its Internship program.
- It provides students with an opportunity to make an in-depth Directed Study in the areas/subjects of their choice.
The BHTM program aims to attract and serve the needs of candidates who are competent and motivated to excel in their study and career. Specifically, potential intakes for the BHTM program are those who have successfully completed 10+2 or any other equivalent degree in any discipline with aggregate of 50 percent of total marks or the CGPA should be minimum 2.4 without D Grade in any of the subjects.
BHTM is open to Nepali and non-Nepali nationals who
– Have successfully completed 12 years of schooling in any disciplines with a minimum of 50 percent marks in aggregate or CGPA of 2 on the scale of 4 from universities or boards recognized by Kathmandu University*;
– Have passed Kathmandu University Undergraduate Management Admission Test (KUUMAT) conducted by KUSOM in the current year.
* Applicants with GCE A- Level degree must have completed two years of study program after 10 years of schooling, taking three advanced level courses, including English, with not less than C grade in all of them.