Bachelor in Hospitality and Tourism Management
Hospitality and tourism industry is one of the growing industries in Nepal and all over the world. BHTM prepares students for this dynamic hospitality and tourism world with a focus in leadership and management. The program prepares graduates for management career in the hospitality and tourism industry enabling them to take middle managerial and entrepreneurial roles. The students get to know and experience through the integration of theory and practical executions in an area of hospitality business and management. Hospitality management studies cover management of hospitality in hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, amusement parks, destination marketing organizations, convention centers, country clubs, and similar. Hospitality and tourism management curricula follow similar core subject applications to that of a business degree, but with a focus on hospitality management. Several large corporations involved with the hospitality industry, and management companies offer internship programs, and direct placements into operational and non-operational departments of hospitality and tourism sector for students majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management. Today every company is also marketing services and every customer in business is treated as a guest. Hospitality management that incorporates service marketing and management have become one of the top priorities of every company. BHTM has great career in offer.
BHTM is an eight semester professionally-oriented academic program spread through four continuous years. It is a comprehensive study program that combines the two main streams of hospitality and tourism disciplines. The focus of the program is to prepare graduates for management career in the hospitality and tourism industry enabling them to take middle managerial and entrepreneurial roles. It has a total of 132 credit hours with 42 courses. The general foundation courses carry 33 credits, management foundation courses 30 credits, core courses 60 credits, elective courses 3 credits and internship during the eighth semester earns 6 credits with a minimum of six months.
The main objective of the BHTM Program is to prepare students to become competent, skilled, confident, and socially responsive professionals who can effectively support managerial, entrepreneurial and leadership roles in business and social organizations in today’s competitive environment. More specifically, the program aims to:
- develop a habit of critical and creative thinking in students;
- develop analytical and problem solving abilities in students;
- improve communicative and presentation skills of students;
- familiarize students with contemporary concepts, tools and techniques of management;
- deepen the knowledge and sharpen the expertise of students in a given functional area;
- prepare students as sensible and responsive citizens with a high degree of professional, social and ethical values; and
- prepare students for higher studies (Masters’ level programs) in management, information systems, economics, and other relevant areas.
Key Features of the BHTM Program
- It is a four-year, 132 credit hours bachelor degree program in management in line with the international standards of bachelor degree programs in business and management.
- It emphasizes the importance of concentration/specialization on functional areas (about 10 percent of total coursework) to enable BHTM graduates face effectively and efficiently the complexities of a particular functional area.
- It offers a wide range of concentration and elective courses to match students’ individual interests with the demand of employment market. With proper academic and course planning, students can take advantages of specialization on two functional areas of management within the same time period.
- It provides students with an opportunity for learning, gaining exposure and networking through its Internship program.
- It provides students with an opportunity to make an in-depth Directed Study in the areas/subjects of their choice.
The BHTM program aims to attract and serve the needs of candidates who are competent and motivated to excel in their study and career. Specifically, potential intakes for the BHTM program are those who have successfully completed 10+2 or any other equivalent degree in any discipline with aggregate of 50 percent of total marks or an equivalent CGPA.